PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: APNG Twin Otter Missing
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2009, 22:38
frigatebird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chuck, the thing these days that helps the new ones (though they don't always appreciate it, they want to progress faster), in say a Twotter, is the two pilot crew, F/O apprenticeship. In the single pilot days, if you had a problem with something going unserviceable, and weather, and schedule, and all, you were it and you learnt to handle it for the first time on the job as you went, after you were turned loose. Had a dual generator failure in a Twotter once, and it was no drama having the F/O fly the aircraft around the buildups staying visual on the hour back while I, with his checking, (and my checking of how he was going) tried to sort out the rest. First time it had happened to me, but for him the next time wont be his first time. It takes a little time to get exposure, and to allow things to happen to you. 12 or 18 months in the right seat before a command, of even a simple aircraft like a Twotter, being in on the problem solving that happens day to day is a safer way than being thrown in the deep end after a checkout (no matter how thorough.) New captains with experienced F/O's, and experienced captains with new F/O's, is still SO sensible.. New Islander or Baron captains should have done some time in multi crew before being given their single pilot slot, but it didn't always happen that way.