PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow - Your first flight
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2009, 21:54
pax britanica

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts
The first of oh so many as it turned out was Thanksgiving Day 1971 on BOAC 747 -100 to JFK and onward -on a standard VC10 to Barbados a regualr BOAC alternative to direct V10 service to the Caribbean.
Even though I was 20 I was very excited as it was my first flight -staff travel c/o Dad and we picked out own seats thanks to the guy who lived two doors down and was a BOAC Redcap Despatcher. Thanksgiving Dinner on board too- Pumpkin pie and all.
En route to two weeks holiday with my best mate and a couple of his airline friends -only way four twenty-ish lads could afford the Caribean in 1971 was airline staff travel. An adventure in itself of course with the will we wont we worry about getting on often. Followed by frantic dashes through the terminal to the aircraft just before doors closed if you were lucky and a glum journey home to try again tomorrow if you were not.
Anyone else on here have memories of the tiny little staff travel check in room on the end of Terminal 3 ?? PB. A few dramas acted out there over the years I am sure.

PB