PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When is it to late to pursue your dream?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2009, 21:33
alwaysontime

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Are you too old?

I was mid thirties when I started my CPL/IR and started with the opinion that I would be lucky to get a job, but if I didnt I would be a really good private pilot. I managed to get an Airbus job before I finished my training for the biggest and best company in the UK. You make your own luck to some extent, starting at the right time so that you graduate in a time when the economy is still growing and lots of companies have aircraft on order etc.. I firmly believe that if you live, eat, breath aviation then you WILL get a job doing exactly what you want to do. You need to be thinking about flying every single day of your life and show that enthusiasm at an interview/selection, but it must be backed up by your abilities to learn quickly and become competant in anything you learn. I was in an office job before hand and earned a good salary. For the first 3 years I was skint, but as the pay has gone up each year and its easier now and i'm not too far behind what I was on in my office job. In my opinion it is the best thing I have ever done. Hard work and I didnt enjoy the first 4-5 months cos it was all weekend work and shifts, but now i'm used to that it is fantastic. I dont consider myself to be part of the working population anymore, I think I just turn up to do my hobby and get paid as a bonus!! There are lots of negative people out there who will try to put you off but the majority will be the people who have not achieved in life anything close to what you are about to. I do not know anyone who has made the decision to retrain to be a pilot in their 30's who has regretted it! Its not the best job in the world for me cos I didnt become an astronaught, but its a very close second!!!