PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow - Your first flight
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2009, 19:09
LAS1997

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first flight out of LHR. As a pax, on a Pan Am Boeing 747, September 6th, 1970. My mother, sister brother and I were flying to JFK to join my father who was working in the US at that time.

I was six years old and can see now in my mind that beautiful white 747 in Pan Am colours with the blue cheatline and globe on its tail parked by the terminal as we boarded.

I have kept a 'Passenger Flying Log' book all my life, recording each flight I take! It's like a diary of one's life in a way and brings back so many happy flying memories.

It was a beautiful day, blue skies and although we were just flying economy, we all dresssed well for the occasion, mother and sister in posh frocks, my brother and I in suits. Yes we used to fly like that in those days! It was quite an event. I can still smell that Jet A1 fuel coming from the aircrafts APU as we climbed aboard.

Taking off and gripping the seat as we thought the wing and engines were about to fall off as they flexed. Only to be re-assured by a well dressed Pan Am Stewardess that it was quite normal for them to flex!

Enjoying a economy class meal 40,000 feet above the Atlantic, we all felt VIP's! Then the excitement of the in-flight movie! Landing at JFK and meeting my father.

Happy days! I believe we departed some time late morning or lunch time, no idea of flight number or aircraft registration, is there some way to find out? I did not record the registrations in those days. I guess there could not have been too many 747's flying in 1971, this must have been one of the first.