PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VMC, VFR and Correct R/T
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2009, 17:56
Captain Stable

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crash one
I have been known to use "over" or "wait one" or "copy that" or "say again" on occasion.
Only two of which actually appear in CAP413. Which two are you proud of? I rest my case.

Furthermore, I would never claim to be anywhere near "Mr. Perfect". I make an effort, however, which too many do not.

I have no beef with private pilots not being trained to professional standards. I know they are not. I well remember my GFT/IR courses and, like everyone else, I found them very demanding. What I am on about, if you could please re-read what I wrote, is professionalism of attitude. That's very different.

You say
Your hazarded bet would have won! Go to the top of the class.
If you don't mind, do not try to guess at my level of couldn't give a f**k attitude.
Since I seem to be doing quite well at divining your attitude, if you don't mind, I shall carry on. So far I have 100% pass rate.

NorthSouth, if you don't know the number of fatal accidents in which use of non-standard R/T procedure has been a very significant factor, I shan't bother enlightening you. If you can't be bothered to look them up and learn from them, you are part of the problem yourself.

American pilots don't understand the problem in the UK with use of standardised phraseology, for the simple reason that almost all pilots in US airspace speak good English and you have to go a long wasy to find someone who doesn't, so if they diverge from standard phraseology, it is generally very likely that everyone else will understand them.

In the UK it's rather different. There are a lot of people around for whom English is a second (or later) language and the only English they may know is what they've learnt in order to fly - in other words, standard aviation English. If you diverge from that, they won't understand. It is generally accepted that only 7% of normal communication is verbal. The rest is body language, tone of voice, facial expression, hand gestures, etc. etc. Subtract from that 7% for other transmissions "treading on" yours, for poor microphone quality, for background noise, and you begin to have a problem. Furthermore, in the debate over the use of English at CDG, it was pointed out by the DCA that, in Air/Ground communication, it is not assumed that the "party line" theory works, that pilots increase their situational awareness by listening to other aircrafts' transmissions. As pilots, of course, we know this is bunk, and we most certainly DO listen to and gain much situational awareness by overhearing other conversations. Limit the understanding of those and you limit situational awareness.

So Safety? Yes, very much so.

Add in extra words like "it's the" and you might be misunderstood - when transmitting, you don't hear how your words get to the other end. Did that crackle come just at the wrong moment? Will somebody else mentally fill in the gap incorrectly? Does inserting extra, unnecessary words actually HELP? Of course it doesn't. So why do it?

And see my comment above about professionalism of attitude. If you can't be bothered to fly with that sort of attitude, should you be flying at all? If you feel free to diverge from the accepted standard, where does that stop? If YOU decide to draw the line elsewhere, what is acceptable to you? What phraseology is ruled out? Anything at all?
"final", "finals" c'mon who gives a monkey's! I am all for prompt, correct rt
So which is it? Are you all for correct R/T, or don't you give a monkeys?