PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway behind you.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2009, 08:34
paweas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm...i'm quite sure all the experienced pilots know what they're on about doing this day in day out..however no matter how you justify it cost and so on regardless of your calculations you can't factor in all possible scenarios or acts of nature,surely it's preferable to give your self all available options in the 1/10,000 remote possibility of a serious problem.
Intersection takeof,.wet rny, xwind near limits, humid conditions, aircraft near mtow and just for kicks a shed load of geese in your engines right at v1 ......fr in rome springs to mind...

Personally i would opt for a straight ahead landing AND FAST....many aircraft have been lost following the ole chestnut "take it into the air sort out the problem and land " boL*o*ks to that.......you hardly have time to assess what the problem is ..bet you wished you had another 3000 ahead...................

It's amazing how company ops will choose to erode god given safety margins to increase profit,intersection takeoffs,reduced thrust noise abatement procedures at near mtow etc.etc...

Obviously talk is cheap and like it or not these procedures are here to stay but personally i like to think given the option most pilots would choose to have all options open.i know i would