PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spoilers armed after take-off?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2009, 22:47
AnthonyGA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spoilers armed after take-off?

Is there a reason why you might want spoilers armed after take-off (as opposed to disarming them as soon as you leave the ground)? The aircraft in question is an A320. I've seen comments in different forums by pilots to the effect that some disarm the spoilers when they raise the gear, others disarm them as they retract flaps. Is there an advantage to having spoilers armed during the initial climb after take-off?

I always thought spoilers were just for slowing down, so you'd use them after landing or maybe during a descent to slow down and descend more quickly. If you're trying to climb, though, you wouldn't want any risk of spoilers deploying—right? Or are there emergencies that could come up that would require you to have the spoilers armed and ready?

Then I started wondering why the spoilers would be armed in the first place, but perhaps you'd arm them to stop faster for an aborted take-off (?). And wouldn't the spoilers disarm themselves when not needed on some aircraft (especially Airbus)?

I guess I'm confused as to why you would want the spoilers armed at any time after take-off. If they were armed and suddenly deployed, you'd be in quite a predicament … or wouldn't you?