PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - classification regulation of closed charter CAR 206
Old 22nd Aug 2009, 10:25
tail wheel

Received 229 Likes on 122 Posts
LeadSled. "Class A Maintenance" is another mythical fallacy. It consists of taking an aircraft off the Manufacturer's tried and proven Schedule/System of Maintenance and dreaming up a new system of maintenance which keeps some illiterate CASA AWI satisfied.

One example I am aware of, the manufacturer's Cessna 208B system of maintenance is reliant upon a 400 hour cycle and 400 hour Maintenance Release. A CASA AWI would not accept the concept of a Maintenance Release remaining valid for 400 hours and required a totally new System of Maintenance written and approved - at great cost - which relied upon four 100 hour Maintenance Releases, to accomplish essentially the same schedule as the Cessna 400 hour cycle!

The Toller years were the nail in the coffin of Australia's rural air services. In all fairness, it wasn't all Mick's doing, but had a lot to do with the incompetents he employed as senior managers, "Mumbles" being one example of a public servants promoted well beyond his maximum level of incompetence.

The current CAR206 is meaningless unless read in conjunction with the previous ANR197 onwards.

If memory serves me correctly, September this year is the 21st Birthday of Regulatory Reform, something Leroy Keith assured me would take no more than three to five years to accomplish!

What an appalling joke successive Ministers of Transport pulled on the gullible Australian public!