PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2007 Puma Crash, Enquiry and Inquest (Merged)
Old 22nd Aug 2009, 02:07
Airborne Aircrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think we have all done things in the air that, in the cold light of "older", were... inappropriate? I can attest to where... ohhh... a wake was left down a reservoir that scared the crewman, (me), who was sat in the door facing backwards in Puma in a 16 seat fit with the doors open to impress the TA lasses in the back. The pilot was one of the most competent low level pilots I have ever flown with... But it was un-nerving to say the least - the subsequent "in the weeds" flying on the same few flights had me wondering just how many inches the tips were from the ground as we cut around the subsequent contours. To the pilot's credit he immediately reigned in his flying when I informed him that, while the ladies were impressed with his ability, he was scaring his crewman.

With the Mull thread in mind, this was the same pilot who I voice marshalled 1000 feet up a cloud covered hill sideways in Scotland to recover a lost patrol... About half a mile of a couple of hundred feet visibility while map reading by contours to find their grid reference. He never strayed from his voice commands.

He was a fine pilot... and if you are watching this and recognize the scenario PM me... You have my utter respect.