PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Qatar Airways (QR) - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 21st Aug 2009, 16:48
Qatari515

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not going to get involved in a pissing contest with you, United 2009.

What I will do is give you a last reply, in between GT 3 & 4, just for the heck of it. Call it "caring for others", as you definitely are in need of some help!

Your reply reminds me of the story of Don Quichote. If you dont know what I am talking about, try to look it up in Wikipedia but that was the guy fighting windmills with a stick and a horse.
In short, you are one of these people continuously fighting threats which are not there. You believe they are existant, but they are not. So you fight and fight, become more and more frustrated, and in the end you loose anyway because of pure exhaustion.

In stead of bitching and moaning the whole time, you should use that energy to do something constructive. Ever heard of the adagio " if you cant beat them, join them"? Let me explain...
I guess you have your own reasons for being here, correct? If not, you would have left already a long time back as nobody likes to be frustrated. Correct?
You are not going to beat the CEO, nor are you going to be able to change some of the outdated/slow moving/frustrating HR practices around QR. So in stead of fighting them the whole time, why dont you try achieving something positive in stead? Give some constructive criticism in a polite way. Write emails to your fleet manager. I agree, 9 out of 10 you probably will not see any result, but that 1 time is sufficient to go through the whole process.

You live and work @ QR, so QR is part of your life. Correct? So in stead of spoiling the atmosphere with your foul remarks here and without any doubt in the cockpit as well, try to make QR a better place. Just changing your attitude would help a lot already!

The vaseline remark.

Vaseline my friend, has nothing to do with aviation! Where I come from Vaseline is a petroleum derivative, used in the household.
I know what you where aiming at, and I know in certain cultures Vaseline is used for other things besides pure household tasks, but please keep those practices to yourself! I, for one, am not interested!

Regarding your other remarks, a quick reply will do, as I dont want to bore the other readers of this forum too much.

Why was he not fired?

Well, because he knew he had it coming so he decided to pull the plug before QR would do so.

Follow 100% SOP?

No, I dont but I try to follow them as much as possible. And wherever I deviate from the SOP, I try to do that in such a way that I do not do anything against the certification of the aircraft.
Spraying DETTOL on every button, switch, screen and handle in the flight deck is against certification and might cause a malfunction! If you are not convinced, try spraying DETTOL inside your flat screen TV while it is still turned on, and enjoy the fire works!

The cheap driver part..

Well, that one is part of the QR Myths on this forum. Have you heard him using those words yourself, or did you hear it via via? I guess its the latter.
I have not heard him saying that personally and I have attended all pilot meetings ever since a very long time.

The CEO does not like pilots, that is true. But look at it from his point of view. He sees a group of employees, in the highest pay scale of the company, employees that are given a huge responsibility.
But all he hears are reports about pilots delaying flights for cockpit food trays not having the correct content, pilots not being served OJ, Pilots shouting at all other staff (ground, cabin, ticket desk, secretaries, name it) just because they think they are better than everybody else in this world just because they wear a uniform, 2/3/4 bars and a shiny ray ban....All he hears are complaints. All he sees is misbehaviour.

Sadly, most of these complaints come from a minority group within the pilot community. It is always the same small group of pilots abusing the system.
The largest group under the pilots do their job to their best known capabilities, will behave at all times and never create a problem.
But he does not see that, as he is shielded off from us and he only gets to know the bad news. So yes, I have seen him yelling and shouting in the hallway because something went wrong, but he probably had a reason to be upset as well!

And for your information....I am not a personal fan of his and I do disagree with some of his rules and styles (which is besides the question as he is the boss and I am an employee, so I do what they pay me) but all in all I have never seen him unreasonable beyond imagination.
I will tell you even more, all the guys I have known that went knocking on his door for help, got help from his side when there was a possibilty!

So please, stick to the facts and keep the rumours for your GT, Shisha or whatever you fancy during your time off.

And that is exactly what I am going to do know....GT 4 is getting warm.

Ma'asalaama!

NJ, hope you are right about the crisis being over soon, I really do. But I am afraid aviation is in for a longer recession. Europe is not really recovering yet I would say. BA/AF downsizing, LH in cash need due to over acquisition, SAS on the verge of bankruptcy, RYR posted losses and is predicting worse for 2009, ALITALIA gone (or about to be), Netjets/Jet republic in really bad shape,......

Where exactly did you see that green grass in Europe?

USA and Latin America not doing to good (despite Virgin Azul taking our Brazilian pilots). Africa = LoL

Only Far East and Middle East are stable of progressing.....

But that GT bet is standing of course...

Last edited by Qatari515; 22nd Aug 2009 at 10:17. Reason: Day after editting ..... GTs no good for English my firend NJ said!