PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buying a disused aircraft?
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2009, 16:10
Ultranomad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a disused aircraft?

Yesterday, I went to Germany to look at a Socata Rallye I was thinking of buying. Now, I am back with very mixed feelings. The situation is as follows:
(++) Upgraded instrumentation: the "sixpack" arranged the standard modern way (as opposed to original Morane), VOR, ADF, GPS, CHT, EGT, manifold pressure gauge, G meter, etc.
(+) The airframe is structurally sound, no corrosion, the paint is very dull but generally intact, except for a few minor scratches.
(+) All airworthiness-related papers, maintenance records for 40 years and a logbook for 17 years are available and in good order, and I have copies of records for recent years.
(-) Amazingly, the flight manual is missing - but maybe the owner has it at home (he was not even there when I inspected the plane).
(-) I came on the day the plane was to have an annual; the engineer came but did not do the annual because the prop (McCauley) and the engine (O-200) ran out of calendar years for overhaul (but not flight hours). So, the club operating the plane decided to switch it to on-condition maintenance scheme, which will take about 4 weeks at LBA, and then they will do an annual.
(+) In the meantime, I spoke to the engineer. He is a very thorough and professional guy and has a plane of his own. He inspected the plane for the last 5 years, knows it well, and did not have anything bad to say about it EXCEPT...
(--)...confirming my big doubts about the engine. It is an O-200 with 1360 hours since overhaul, with 70-75 compression in all cylinders as of last year, but the plane has been in the air for a total of 6 (yes, six!) hours in the last 5 years, roughly one hour every year.

So, what would you do? My current thoughts are to try talking the owner into something like a lease for, say, 50 flight hours with an option to purchase it thereafter. However, even if he accepts this offer, what can be done to get the plane back into the service with the minimum chance of the engine destroying itself?

Last edited by Ultranomad; 21st Aug 2009 at 16:29.