PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Qatar Airways (QR) - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 21st Aug 2009, 13:07
Qatari515

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you know of ANYBODY that went to HR and told them about the removal of the days off pay?

Personally I do not know a single one. Nobody protested, nobody wrote any letter, nobody went to HR. We all just accepted it, just like that. Many guys got upset behind the closed doors of their flight deck, others mumbled in the corridors and others posted something here. But who wrote an official letter to his Chief pilot? Who actually went to HR to clarify things? Nobody I know of. (I did not either on that occasion, but I had my private reasons for that)

Why do you think CEOs all over the world have no respect for pilots? Exactly, because of things like this!

And I can give you a couple more examples just like that.

Regarding the salary increase. It was clearly said that that salary scale was going to be implemented there and then. In that meeting some old timers protested, but the HR chap clearly said that from that moment onwards everybody would start at step 1, regardless if you had joined the company at that moment or 9 years ago.

So we all started at the bottom at that moment. Now I can not remember if that meeting was in 2005 or 2006, I think the latter. So that means nobody has reached step 4 and above yet or they have just reached it. Which is why I said HR probably is not even aware of the mandatory 3% increase.

It will be very interesting to see if some of the pilots actually will bring this up or if they are all going to accept it...

I know what I will do. Do you? (general Q)

All I am saying is that most pilots are very good in complaining on an anonymous forum or in the hallway, but when the time is there when the problem should be brought up, they all disappear. This is happening all over the world, and that exactly is the reason for the demise of our profession.
Sad but true!

(just saw a doc. on CNN about Airports. They show a parking lot in LAX, occupied by pilots and flight attendants living in trailers because housing is too expensive in that area. Sorry people, but how LOW can one fall? All this just because you want to fly an airplane???)

So don't blame the company. HR is just protecting their budgets in whatever way they can. Its up to you individually to stand up and fight for what is rightfully yours. And believe me, if what you are claiming is correct you will get it without hesitation (after a 3 day fight but hey...)Many times all these issues are based on misunderstandings and it only takes one person to point out the problem and to rectify it all.

I simply do not understand how it is possible most pilots know their FCOM and SOP by heart, yet they are virtually incapable of reading and understanding an HR policy, a law or any other text outside the context of a flying tube! Very strange.

Ready to duck for the FLACK boys! Shoot.....

Last edited by Qatari515; 21st Aug 2009 at 13:22.