View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2009, 21:39
ORAC
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,807 Likes on 813 Posts
A Man of Honour

Polish Gen. Quits Over Afghanistan Equipment Row
By AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE - 20 Aug 2009

WARSAW - A Polish army general who criticized Poland's defense ministry over refusing to purchase what he termed essential equipment for Polish troops in Afghanistan, resigned August 20

"I'm quitting the army because I have no other choice as a soldier," Gen. Waldemar Skrzypczak, 53, said in Warsaw. "I haven't changed my opinion, everything I've said was true," Ambrozinski added.

Skrzypczak attacked senior defense ministry officials after insurgents killed Polish army Capt. Daniel Ambrozinski in an ambush in the central Afghan province of Ghazni on August 10.

On August 17, the general told the Dziennik daily newspaper that defense ministry officials "knew war only from the movies" and could "dictate to the military" which weapons should be used in combat.

"It is shameful that we haven't given soldiers needed equipment," he said. "We've been fighting for equipment for over two years, but no one is listening to commanders. We're asking for arms but everything is drowning in procedures."

Poland's Defense Minister Bogdan Klich said Skrzypczak's comments were "unacceptable" and criticized him for questioning civilian control over the army. But Poland's Prime Minister Donald Tusk, during a visit to Afghanistan on Aug. 15, said there was "no doubt" the Polish troops there needed better equipment.

Poland has lost 10 soldiers in Afghanistan. It currently has a 2,000-strong contingent there, part of the 65,000-strong NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF).