PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canberra hours
Thread: Canberra hours
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2009, 18:45
greywings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
360 Squadron aircrew

Dear All, many thanks for this interesting trip down memory lane. I had the great pleasure of flying with 360 squadron late 60's / early 70's, and was interested to see Alex Wedderburn's name mentioned earlier in this thread. Does anyone have contact information for him that could be shared?

Also, I was lucky enough to fly regularly with Dinty Moore and Alex Ford, though haven't heard them mentioned for many years.

I loved the Canberra, and really enjoyed my 15 hour conversion at Bassingbourn. Having just returned from seven months at sea in Ark Royal, I was very out of touch with what was going on in the UK at that time (summer '68). So, imagine my surprise, when on a GCA into Bassingbourn, a Spitfire and Me 109 flew over the top of me. No, I had not entered a time-warp (though I thought I had), merely just seen two of the aircraft used in the filming of the 'Battle of Britain' flying overhead.

Those were the days!

Lots of 'navigation training' trips to Cyprus and Malta, and 'good relations' with the customs chaps on our return.

What a great time to be in the Services.

GW