PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2009, 09:06
walter kennedy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beagle
I have been aware of that listing for years - equally, many years ago I posted on this thread that a source in EuroControl told me that, at the time, there was a shortage of codes available in the system back then and that for less common exercises it was the usual practice to use one of the domestic allocation where there was no room for ambiguity (Channel Isles x NW Scotland = no ambiguity) so the list does not rule out 7760 for an exercise - (coincidently?) it means "ground transponders tests/trials" in some ATC systems.
What would have been nice is if someone had noted what the SSR code had been before they got near the Mull - either by having been party to the planning of the sortie or by observing the SSR code on the recordings of the secondary radar returns from Lowther Hill.
Incredibly, it is accepted that no one will ever no what the SSR/squawk code was set to before getting to close proximity to the Mull.
One reliable source is adamant that radar recordings were available at the time, having seen the recording and made comment at the time about the track - but unfortunately not the SSR code. There was no technical reason why Prestwick could not have received such data for much of the way across the sea from NI - you have LOS from Lowther Hill right down to sea level for much of that crossing.
Further, the nature of the selectors for the SSR code are such that "you needed a sledgehammer to move them" (or words to that effect by a loadmaster who wrote a book on this crash) and it would not have been the practice to change codes in a sudden emergency - so the question remains, why the odd SSR code?
Cows
The sand bit was addressing the general crowd on this thread (you collectively).

Last edited by walter kennedy; 20th Aug 2009 at 09:08. Reason: additional text