PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flap 'UP' Speed - 737NG
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2009, 08:45
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mshamba - as I read it the problem appears to have been caused by 'differing' LTC inputs on how to fly this procedure. Boeing indeed suggest selection of bug up (or higher) at F1 and this is fine as it is a 'speed increasing' scenario as with all flap retractions (including OEI). The situation CK is asking about involves 'prolonged' flight at bug up (with manouevre) where the 737 A/T (commonly) does not control the speed well at bug up. As despegue says, the Classic is known for poor speed control and the NG certainly has its moments. We all know the 'margins' built in to the manouevre speeds but how is CK to handle being criticised for one method by one group and by the other for adopting the first's suggested method?

I am, however, not clear why any acceptable speed cannot be set at either MFRA or 3000' since noise is then finished? Why maintain bug up to 3000' if is not required? If you are holding v2+ xxx to an altitude, once you complete that stipulation surely you are then free to accelerate to desired speed IAW NORMAL flap retraction? What am I missing here?

A few anecdotes to amplify despegue's comments regarding birds for anyone tempted to ignore the threat:

1) I had a canopy broken at 300kts by a bird
2) An aquaintance lost an eye following a birdstrike (Hunter at low level)
3) A friend ejected from a Harrier off Belize following a high speed (not quite 600kts) (large) birdstrike which moved the whole engine a few inches back in the airframe.

Treat them with respect.