PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is it about the C180/185
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2009, 23:33
HarleyD

Location: Aus, or USA, or UK or EU, or possibly somehwere in Asia.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have flown 180's and 185's on PVT, CHTR AWK and AG with a variety of dispersal systems.

Nothing much more satisfying than landing off a turn in a quartering tailwind up a short ag strip, with a prefectly timed pivot turn, under inertia, at the loader before blasting off again (and again and again...)

180 (especially the early ones) are the nicest, but unforgiving to the innattentive.

185 is a bit of a disapointment,more stable, much more forgiving, more power and more space, should be better, but I still prefer the old 180's with their nicer lighter handling and somehow always found them more fun to fly.

I have also flown 170's and straight tail 172 with t/w mod utilizing lightweight 180 legs, very sweet to fly and low low landing speed, way fun and from a short distance very difficult to pick from a 180. Also flown straight tail 150 with t/w mod, looked just like a little 180 from a distance and was fun but not so much as the real one or the modded 172.

Texas taildragger mod never rang my bell and i have not tried one, they just don't look right.

195 was a real conveyance, shakey jake and all, and the 188 very nice to fly but a bit of a ground hog.

HD