PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The RCAF - What's it like?
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2009, 21:55
ANUbound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Start The Process!

BroVVn,

Things are on the mend in this outfit (not sure of Obbie's info source). There were some excellent responses to your questions. I joined 19 yrs ago without a schmeck of military exposure. I have deployed on three different six month tours and have had some fantastic stops.
There is bull**** everywhere, but, I will say the pros far outweigh the cons in the Cdn Air Force. I joined to get free, topnotch flying training with no intent to stay on beyond my minimum committment. I suspect I will stick around til the 25 year mark now.
If you sign on the dotted line, you're in thru the good and the bad. As mentioned earlier, you will not build yourself a gi-normous logbook, however, you'll cherish the great experiences within it.
Family life is great (can't speak for all), job security unchallenged, salary is more than competitive and the flying is challenging no matter which community you end up in. Mess life and Air Force comradery is something that only we can experience. Throw a $50,000 pension on top of it all after 25 years and it becomes a pretty satisfying career.
Don't get me wrong there is always a down side which we all suffer through.
Remember, you can be selected for Rotary, Multi-Engine or Fighter, there are no guarantees of which airframe you may fly.
Give it a shot, if you don't like it, get out after the 9 yr mark.

ANUbound