PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar NZ News????
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2009, 21:20
Artificial Horizon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People keep saying things like "who gives a sh#t about safety", once again where is the evidence that Jetstar don't take safety seriously, some of the biggest low cost carriers in the world e.g Easyjet, Southwest, Ryanair have impeccable safety records. Cheap fares doesn't really mean cheap on safety. You may not agree with the terms and conditions on offer but that is no reason to start slanging untruths about. 80% load factor accross the board and an operating profit within the first full month of operations speaks for itself, with more and more positive media coverage starting to come Jetstar NZ is well positioned for expansion. Is this good for the pilot community and pay and conditions.... NO its not, but lets not forget the slide towards these wages started years ago when people at the grass roots level (GA) started working for FREE, I had numerous 'job' offers straight out of CPL/IR Instructor rating training with the small condition that I could work for nothing!!! I didn't do it, many people did as I have never heard of a GA operator struggling for pilots! We only have ourselves to blame, we cheapened our 'profession' years ago and Jetstar NZ is now the result of this exploitation of peoples desperation to work which started a long time ago. Ironically Jetstar OZ pilots are now worried about being undercut by the Jetstar NZ contract, where did we all think it would end. Over here in Europe people can buy a type rating with 500 hours on type (737), the airline runs its operation with FO's who are paying to fly Is this the next step downunder probably, because as a group of professionals we are crap at sticking together.

Last edited by Artificial Horizon; 19th Aug 2009 at 21:30.