PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2009, 19:05
walter kennedy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beagle
Ask the lads getting resupplied by Chinooks in difficult conditions in Afghanistan what kind of “wacky wirelesses” they hold and how they are used to guide the Chins in - that is, if they'll talk to an idiot like you.

Tony Collins
<<I don't know though I could try and find out. >> I rather think you should as your post on the changes seemed intended to rebut Cazatou's point on putting the suspension of further flying into perspective.
Assuming that you have some knowledge of how the FADEC system worked in HC2 Chinooks at the time, could I ask you please to check this thread (recent posts) for posts I have made dismissing the FADEC – briefly, the engines were found in a matched state which does not fit with engine control problems (either the FADEC or the pilot nees to trim them to get them as close as found after they had settled at a level following change) and the most speculated problem of an undemanded runaway would have helped them as the action required would have been to increase collective (eg climb) to restrain rotor rpm. What possible FADEC problem is it that you envisage could have contributed? - just a big distraction to the pilots and loadmaster? - a bit like the FADEC red herring on this thread?

<<Indeed to me the most striking technical thing about the Mull crash is how little independently-verified information there is. On what is known, and has been verified by the AAIB - and the TANS information was given no AAIB endorsement - I do not see that any cause, probable cause, or even likely cause, can be established. Much has been said about the waypoint change, as reported by Racal [now Thales]. The AAIB did not endorse Racal's report. >>
I take it that the “cause” you are referring to in this context is a technical problem with the aircraft – couldn't agree with you more – there is no evidence whatsover for a technical fault with the a/c causing this crash.
However, if you look at the flight planning, instrument settings, and their lining up with a known LZ (much used by mil helos up until that time) and consider that no one wants to contemplate that scenario nor pass comment on the candidate equipment I have suggested may have been used there, perhaps you may understand that the reason we may never know what happened that day is because the powers that be wish it so.