PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vortex Ring / Settling with power (Merged)
Old 19th Aug 2009, 17:15
pcpahari_IAF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question To: Crab and Aucky & All the experts

As you can see... its Light or Heavy again... (Please refer my query earlier and Auckys post dated 15 Aug).

The RAF Manual on rotordynamics also explains Vortex Ring as outlined by Aucky's 15 Aug Post.

While I am personally convinced about Vortex ring being a purely Aerodynamic phenomenon resultin from interaction of the tip vortices to intensify with increasing ROD (Opposing Relative Flow) and induced flow produced by the rotors (powered rotor motion) ultimately settling the helicopter into this wake such that increasing power (coll) only intensifies the vortices at the tips causing the hepter to descend at an even increasing rate. I am in agreement with the finer aspects of winds and the fwd speed (relative) vividly brought out all throughout the posts in this forum however, I request the old hands to re-read Aucky's post... (with emphasis on the aspect of root end being stalled and insifying vortices at tips...&.. this state occuring earlier in Heavy hepters). Request point out where and how such an analogy would be wrong.... Thats the question my folks here have been arguing...

Thanks yet again