PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kidlington now "London Oxford"
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2009, 14:33
Sir Niall Dementia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NIK;

A lot of aircraft transit the area around the north of the ATZ (keeps them away from Brize) but then fly through the approach without talking to anyone.

Astir8, while EGTK is very GA friendly they make more money out of bizjets, everyone at the airport are aware of the gliders, some of us fly them too. If it comes to an argument I bet EGTK would go with the business community, so why start the argument in the first place. Flying GA is my relaxation from flying when the boss tells me to. I don't want more restrictions on my leisure because a few people can't use a touch of common sense. A jet on the ILS will be at 1800' at seven miles with a speed around 160kt. A call to approach at least alerts ATC and IFR traffic to the presence of other aircraft, as for gliders I flew past the comps at Lasham the other day when Fanborough had primary returns on up to 50 gliders at a time, it was mighty busy but the radar saved an awful lot of stress and no gliders were talking to Farnborough (personally I don't see why they should).

The area around EGTK is very busy, much as I enjoy flying with the radio switched right down and peace and quiet in the cockpit I would not transit this area without talking to someone either Brize for LARS or Oxford to at least let them know you are here.

As for gliders I wish I had that amount of freedom in my day job. And don't forget Weston-on-the-Green may be notified as active with nothing going on at all, or A Herc or parachute dropping aircraft.

A bit of common sense and courtesy can go a long way to stopping more CAS.

Sir Niall