PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Computers in the cockpit and the safety of aviation
Old 19th Aug 2009, 13:23
Tee Emm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Linking back to previous on the 'recent' TK 737 at AMS, the PGF A320 and the Thomsonfly 737 at BOH I would, as others, press hard for some formal sim training in low speed out-of-trim full power g/a handling for low-slung beasties at least for starters
We did that in the 737Classic simulator today. Autopilot held the glide-slope by steady back trimming. Assumed autothrottle played up and throttles closed -all this at 1500 feet. Very educational; The rapid speed decay to Vref minus 25 knots accompanied by the noise of the stab trim moving steadily back made us wonder how crews can possibly miss these things. Did a GA at stick shaker.

I must say, it takes very concise handling to get optimum pitch attitudes during the go around. If flaps were immediately selected to Flap 15 on GA (normal GA procedure) but at speeds well below Vref, a stall can occur. There is no question that you must leave the gear and flaps until reaching Vref when Flap 15 can now be set. Conducted in IMC, this exercise is one of the best pure flying skill practice I can recommend. The danger is blind chasing of the flight director pitch bar which reacts to overcontrolling in pitch. Because of this some pilots elect to switch off the FD until a stabilised climb is attained.
We already include this low speed low altitude out of trim handling during type rating and recurrent training. It certainly gives pilots vital practice at rapid flight instrument scan in IMC - especially if ground contact is imminent.

Last edited by Tee Emm; 19th Aug 2009 at 13:44.