PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flap 'UP' Speed - 737NG
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2009, 13:12
Callsign Kilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flap 'UP' Speed - 737NG

Have a query here folks

Upon flying a noise abatement profile on departure V2+15 to V2+25 is maintained until bugging the up speed at either the MFRA or 3000 AGL depending on airfield brief stipulation (standard NADP2 or 1?)

With flap retraction complete a few LTCs have implied that 'UP' speed should be maintained until the noise abatement procedure is complete. Although i believe nothing in our SOPs suggest this, I was led to believe that a mximum of the UP speed + 10kts could be maintained until above 3000 AGL and acceleration is initiated.

I would have had a tendency to 'bug' the UP speed + 5, giving a bit of leeway to the AFDS + A/T, especially in gusty conditions or with SID profiles that include fairly steep turns after departure. I have been told that I am incorrect to do so because I am 'breaking' the NADP profile?? However other sources has said that speed inadvertently dropping below the UP speed with the AFDS + A/T engaged has also brought reactions.

I also felt a slight drop below the UP speed was no big deal as the maneuver speed provides a certain margin incase of an inadvertent overshoot of a typical 25 degrees of bank. I realise it is bad airmanship and should be avoided however a reaction may be to reduce the bank angle if you anticipate an overshoot i.e during a steep climbing turn for example at a higher gross weight.

It has led me to be a bit confused about what is right and what is wrong. Above all, fly the aeroplane is the answer. Can anyone add their opinions. Are people's interpretation of SOPs, NADPs and Technical facts causing this uncertainty?

Thanks, CK