PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reduced Flap setting in Gusty x-Wind Conditions
Old 31st May 2002, 10:37
FormationFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi folks,

Interesting this...

I use full flap for the most part...however...if conditions get *extreme* I will use a flapless approach and use a higher airspeed.

Why? Because higher airspeed means more control. In gusty conditions you add half the gust factor anyway...

As for ' if you touchdown while still at flying speed, it's going to get interesting in many aircraft. '.

Whats the reasoning behind this statement?

If you insist on stalling it in the flare YOU ARE ASKING FOR AN ACCIDENT. Why? Because you have nothing left to control the aircraft with - all the controls are fairly ineffective, use of aileron could lead to tip stall and digging a tip in. In X/Wind & Gusty conditions you dont want to hold a flare off....you want the wheels on the ground fairly pronto to give you better directional control (nosewheel a/c at least).

I will also add that the crab & kick straight technique is also a good way to cause undercarriage stresses during cross-winds - especially more extreme crosswinds...Personally I use a combination technique - thus landing wings level with no additional control movements to make when the controls are at their most ineffective.

Hope this helps,
FF