PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reduced Flap setting in Gusty x-Wind Conditions
Old 31st May 2002, 10:35
Kermit 180
Safety First!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Pitching the nose up requires greater elevator control input with flaps deployed, compare flaring with and without flap and see the differences for yourself.

I thought the reason for deploying partial flap as opposed to full flap was for stability, especially on a high wing aircraft where the full wing surface is exposed to the relative airflow (from the front and side in the case of a crosswind). With full flap the majority of the lift envelope is around the mid area of the wing, making the aircraft less stable than it would be if the envelope was evenly spread across the whole wing plan. I do not agree entirely with this concept for low wing aircraft, where the wing on the downwind side is sheltered by the fuselage. Also using less than full flap will aid penetration through gusting winds and wind shear by using a higher approach speed. Also I would not endorse landing flat. I have never had any problem with landing any aircraft in a crosswind with the nose wheel clear off the ground or tail down in a three point attitude.

Kermie

Last edited by Kermit 180; 31st May 2002 at 10:40.