PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kidlington now "London Oxford"
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2009, 09:00
Sir Niall Dementia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK head into the lions mouths;

I am a corporate pilot based at EGTK, I also fly in in my weekend toy. EGTK is very GA friendly and can provide a useful learning experience for inexperienced aviators as there are now a large number of mid-sized business jets as well as the flyings school and the old OATS.

Movements are no-where near the amount in the mid '80s when there would be seven in the circuit, ten joining and five in the hold (thank christ) Oxford then was second to LHR in annual movements, mostly PA28s and PA31s, Now there is a greater variety, and less overall movements.

On thing I would beg for though, if you are going to transit north about please give Approach (125.325) a call. On a grovelly weekend the TCAS warnings on approach can be a real worry. A lot of pilots are transiting through the instrument approach without calling ATC, who with no radar can't give traffic advice to aircraft flying the procedure, often their first knowledge of a transit is when we call a TCAS contact, on one Saturday last summer I completed the base turn to find 7 TCAS contacts, none of whom were talking to Oxford. I detest the phrase "airspace grab", but I can see a time when EGTK will get CAS so that protection can be applied for IFR approaches. Helping ATC and other pilots with a simple call may help keep CAS at bay. EGTK will get radar, but it is not scheduled for another 2 years, so the cheap option is CAS. If all pilots used the superb service from Oxford on their way past then maybe CAS could be avoided.

I met one chap recently who made that north about transit several times a month, his attitude was "why should I talk to them?" my response is as above. A selfish attitude from some members of the flying fraternity may give the authorities all they need to make more airspace controlled, and makes those of us who do fly GA look like a right bunch of clowns to those at the pointy end of the expensive toys, and as one who flies both I think that is bloody unfair.

Sir Niall