PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Austrelian CC Ratio under threat
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2009, 07:30
Boomerang_Butt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you Lowerlobe. The point I was trying to make is that it's better to have a higher crewax ratio for just the scenarios that we are on board for: emergencies.

There's a web site where a TWA crew recounts an evac after an aborted takeoff & subsequent fire: paxing crewmembers were instrumental in assisting and goess to show that numbers are better when the crap hits the fan!

Sure a Dash 8 may only have 1 crewmember but their drill would take that into account. No need to take everything so LITERALLY! (yes I have worked on the Dash8) Would only take a few seconds to walk the length of the cabin if need be- on a 737 or bigger it takes more time.

The basic issue we are looking at here is SAFETY. Not, it will be easier to do the service...

Imagine doing a ditch on a 738 with 4 crew (as I assume DJ's EPs must cover) one down the back to make sure pax don't open doors, not sure how the other 3 would be distibuted but I would rather 2 crew at each point where rafts are being launched... you need one to maintain control while the other puts the rafts out- what then if you don't have that number- brief an ABP? get real in the panic that would ensue I highly doubt there'd be time for an effective briefing/instruction.

Anyway I'm getting past the point 1:50 RATIO IS NOT GOOD FOR ANYONE. Sure, it's doen overseas, but that doesn't mean we should do it also. Ever wondered WHY Aus aviation records have been good so far? I can bet this is a contributing factor- 1:36!