PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is it about the C180/185
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2009, 06:54
ZEEBEE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does a 185 compare to flying a cub? I'm guessing that extra horsepower would make her bite a lot harder on T/O, but if you can handle a cub would the step up be great?

I'm guessing yes, but hoping no.
Good guess Zepp!

Dramatically different aircraft in almost every way.

For a start, you sit about a metre higher in the Cessna and that makes a difference.

The Cube is truly fun to fly but it can be waffled around without really thinking too much.
It can be plonked onto the ground and it sort of rights itself without too much concern because it is a pretty light little machine.

The 180 and even more so the 185 DEMANDS your attention anytime you're within striking distance of the ground and REQUIRES consistent planning and technique to both take-off and land.
Furthermore it needs that attention ALL the way to hangar door.

Much heavier on the controls but so very responsive as compared to the blanc-mange response to the Cub's controls.

However, there are few things more satisfying than pulling off a greaser and coming to a nice controlled stop straight ahead ( I did that once !...I'll never forget it!)

Love the Cub...Respect the 180/185.

I could go on, but there are far more experienced people on this forum who can put it better than I.