PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helmets - Should you? and Which?
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2009, 04:22
helmet fire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hands up all those who want to fly in a home-build, put together with no compliance standards?
I know that some people do just that...but not moi.

Why would you want to design and build your own helmet without a simple understanding of the basic design standards for flight helmets? I dont have that understanding, so I trust in the existing manufacturers and the free market competition to produce competing helmets that meet set standards (of some official recognition). That competition should ensure that the prices are as reasonable as they could be whilst meeting the specs.

If a helmet is accepted by the Defence Force of my country, I can be reasonable assured that it will have been through a rigorous standards audit and I can be confident that it will do the best job for me. That will include at least the following:

Visor will be non shaterring and almost unbreakable (sunglasses are not!)
Visor will be tested to ensure colour perfection (sunglasses are not!)
Noise attenuation will be rigorously examined (bike helmets are not)
Shell will have demonstrated impact standards
Shell will have demonstrated helicopter specific standards (such as roll over protections - unlike fixed wing helmets)
Shell system will be specifically designed to accommodate NVG

Now if any of you can do that for under $3000, I would be amazed!

Someone who bangs on about safety all the time cannot be really taken seriously when wearing a home made helmet. $3000 is worth my noggin.