PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mixture leaning question.
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2009, 03:24
HarleyD

Location: Aus, or USA, or UK or EU, or possibly somehwere in Asia.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZEEBEE

Wind up worked, offence not intended.

I agree with you that the only reason that Austers were used is that at that time people couldn't afford proper aeroplanes, or 'airplanes' as the vendors called them

However, This thread was about a theoretical situatuion in a 172 regarding mixture enrichment. you started the whole auster and motor spirit thing. I have done my time behind and between gipsys and cirrussess (cirrii??) and now enjoy reliable and comfortable alternatives, with proper Flight Manuals.

I could not care what your opinion of motorcycles is based on but mine is on 40 years riding and 75 motorcycles, including several of Great Britains finest "classics", or as we call them, 'unreliable dungers'.

I make my own decisions, but do however take the time to listen to others, like yourself, who on occaisions fail to reciprocate (like my old BSA).

With relation to the acual thread:

- I still stand by my references to reading the AFM/POH as a starting point.

- Pelicans Perch is good guidance but not always gospel, but always good reading.

- Some lycoming ARE fuel/oil/air cooled, especially in the climb phase, though the O320 is not critical in this case by any means.

Good Quality Motor Spirit, by its very broad definition , is still available as it is needed for Good Quality Motor Cars to function, or was the Morris Oxford the peak of automotive excellence? (likley yes in your opinion).
Objectively yes the definition my be different but subjectively no, otherwise all those old pommy cars would have long since died from fuel specific related issues rather than just by being poorly designed, built and supported, rattling to bits and collapsing in an oil drenched heap. ( they always had good heaters though). At least all that oil meant that they didn't dissolve into a pile of rust like italian cars did. (oh no, I have offended all those Lancia owners out there!!)

Kind Regards,

HD

Last edited by HarleyD; 19th Aug 2009 at 03:26. Reason: speling and grandma