PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft down in Dundee
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2009, 01:25
avgh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
airpolice

Sorry I do recall seeing your questions way back, but clearly omitted to answer them. I have printed them so refer to the questions in order.

Why Barrow? The front that was expected later in the evening hit the Lakes about three hours early (confirmed by Barrow tower). I was en route to East Kirkbride where a taxi was waiting to take me to Grasmere to see my nephew's family. (he is a "lapsed" PPL)

It was looking murky over towards Leeds Bradford, but bright by the coast so I diverted to the coast and chose to land at Barrow rather than go back to Woodvale, where I had landed a couple of weeks back to see sick mother in law.

Barrow is the most welcoming field I know and also a great base for the Lakes (bus via Windermere or Kendal) I am trying to attach the picture sent me just now by them, when inviting me back after the incident, but with no success.

Re ATC - most postings seem to be derived from one comment. The record will confirm my account. There is a warning on this site that not all postings are what they seem....

Re divert to Carlisle - no need as I had sufficient under normal conditions to get to Kinloss direct with a healthy margin (the exact amounts are on the flight notes and in the a/c). We (ie the Head of Flight Operations, the airfield manager and I all discussed the most sensible fuel stop and it was Dundee. I had plenty of fuel to go there, even after having burned the Kinloss margin in the climb. 10 litres measured at straight and level was quite enough for Dundee.

From Barrow I went at efficient cruise speed under cloud round the headland to the Solway Firth, missing Sellafield well to the East of the railway as instructed by Barrow. Joined the straight line route at the head of the Firth and commenced to climb above clouds.

Fuel at departure was checked and double checked and is in my pilots notes as above. Fuel burn was because I clumbed steeply to get above cloud north of Solway Firth. The clouds were confirmed by another contributor. Fuel was watched throughout the flight, but Kinloss assessed and rejected in favour of fuel pick up at Dundee after leaving Edinburgh.

I have self criticisms of the flight that I shall make to the Inspector, but really it was properly planned with the assistance of three pilots, fuel assessed as planned and diverted as planned. If the engine had cut 30 seconds earlier I had a perfectly adequate crop field (is there Farmers site like this?). If it had cut 30 seconds later I should have ended in shallow water, if there is no beach. If it had not been for "competition day" at the course I might have landed safely on a fairway.

Please note that the engine panel, transponder and satnav have all survived and are being handed to the technical inspector by the loss adjustor. I trust that he will have my charts, Pooleys and flight notes or that they will be in "lost property" held by the police.

Once again, sorry if I seemed to be ignoring you. Vince

SoundBarrier - trust you prefer jets with a name like that!? Vince

PS the taxi from Grasmere that was a EK came all the way to Barrow to collect me. What a hero! Vince