PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ainsworth says Afghanistan is "winnable"
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2009, 01:01
minigundiplomat

Received 193 Likes on 75 Posts
I'm wrestling with a conundrum.

We are in Afghanistan to make Britain safer, by denying the terrorists a safe haven, according to the PM.

Whilst we are doing that, what is happening in:

Pakistan
Somalia
Chechnya
Yemen

All of the above don't seem to be under any real government control, and are effectively ungoverned spaces in which terrorists can train at will.

You could also add:

Saudi Arabia (Funding)
Algeria
Syria
The mountains of several 'Stans'
Indonesia
Egypt
Lebanon

And I don't really buy this Home Office claptrap about 90% or so terror attacks originating in Afghanistan. They are more likely to originate in Pakistan, a country we keep talking about, but effectively leaving alone (apart from an occasional UAV strike).

I don't have a problem with Mr Broon marching everyone up the hill (as long as they are properly equipped), but the reasons for this campaign have always been hazy, and this 'denying terrorists a safe haven' nonsense doesnt stack up.

Im sure an organisation like Al Qaeda is navigating an airline website and booking seats on an Islamabad-Mogadishu flight.

I seem to remember the 7/7 bombers booked themselves on a teambuilding weekend in Wales. We havent invaded the Brecon Beacons.

The reasons change everytime, in order to make it palatable to the UK population, who quite rightly question the aims of the mission.

All this nation building, drug eradication nonsense and denying safe havens is utter rubbish.

Why not be honest. We are members of NATO, and following 9/11, the US asked for our help under Article 5 of the treaty. We are obliged to assist them following an attack.

This may not be easy to sell to the UK public, but it is the only fact in this whole matter. The rest seems to have been developed to fit the mood.

I still don't really have an opinion either way, I just do what I get paid to do. I just think a little more honesty is required.