PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The RCAF - What's it like?
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2009, 18:45
kingoftheslipstream

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How intense is the psychological stress of becoming a pilot?
About the same as an undergrad degree program at Waterloo... if you've the organizational skills for university, you can study well in the CF.

How often do pilots usually move around?
About every 3 to 4 years... at the discretion of the service, although you get a wish list. If you're doing well you'll usually get what you want. If you're a bit less than ideal your choices will be rather more limited

How crappy are the airbases?
They're OK, though it's been a few years... everything is old! I visited some friends a couple of years ago at Air Force HQ in Winnipeg and it was pretty dismal. I'd been gone for many years, when I visited the only thing that had changed was that everybody had desktop computers! Still ****ty old furniture, furnishings, buildings, mess life was non-existant. In the 'kinder gentler' CF there was a lot more casual interaction between the ranks... it was not the airforce I left! When your Grandfather was in the CAF flyin' Sabres, our country's airforce was something real and purposeful. After many successive Liberal governments, (they don't put money in to the military) things have waned significantly, also the airforce had a large role in Cold War doctrine and that threat is pretty much gone. So to is the Norad threat, so things have really shrunk.

Are they in extremely remote locations? (I’d probably be dragging my long-term girlfriend around with me and was wondering how terrible it would be for her to live near a base).
The bases where the Wings are (where the aircraft are) are OK for the most part, I think the only real remote spot is Yellowknife... everything else is pretty reasonable. Cold Lake (fightertown Canada) can get to some folks...

What happens if you wash out? Are you reassigned against your will or released from the air force? (I wonder this b/c as of right now I don’t want to do anything but pilot and would rather be released than reassigned)
I am not sure of the state of play on this issue right now - talk to the recruiter, and of course get it in writing...

Are most pilots adrenaline junkies that like to live on the edge?
I think you'll find most of 'em are level headed professionals. There's a kind of selection process that mostly weeds out the dickheads, and there's always peer review... which was fact of life when I was in the CF.

Are there copious amounts of alcohol and drugs?
Those days are pretty much gone... drugs are almost non-existant and that is a kind of thing that sort of takes care of itself as well. Nobody wants to work in a unit where there's folks on drugs and there are ways in which these folks are weeded out

The time commitment for being a pilot is 9 years, what rank do most people reach by the end of this? Captain?
That's about right. That was happened to all me 'n my classmates/peers

I’m sorry for this awkward question, but is there a high injury or mortality rate in the RCAF? (my family is seriously worried that I’m going to die or develop post-traumatic stress disorder if I join)
Make no mistake: you are putting yourself in harm's way in the service of your country. You may have to pay the ultimate price. If that makes you uncomfortable you may want to look elsewhere. Accidents do happen as well, and aviation is inherently dangerous. Military aviation is more dangerous than civil aviation. Stress is a very subjective thing... some folks handle it better 'n others. I have seen some real tough lookin' guys totally goof out in the military when the **** got a bit heavy an' I've seen guys the tough guys thought were sissies get down to brass tacks 'n come up shinin'. It's all about character, personality, intelligence, integrity, sincerity, determination and teamwork ('specially) an' those kinds a qualities

Suggestion: Perhaps you should take a few lessons in the manner of obtaining a private pilot's licence, in order to assess your desire/affinity for flying? Then you may be able to more carefully gauge your desire.I did a couple of tours in the CF and then went to civil flying and ended up where I wanted to be flyin' heavies around the world. I loved my time in the CF, worked with some fantastic people, and some dickheads. I believe it's fair to say that military flying will prepare you very well for civil aviation later in life if that's what you desire. Military training is different than civil training. You will cut your teeth on flying that most civilians never get close to. It's a lot of fun along the way.
Good luck with yer decision makin'.