PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ainsworth says Afghanistan is "winnable"
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2009, 18:21
EnigmAviation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The (un) winnable war

The more I read, the more angry I become when I see the inevitable consequence of fighting this absolutely stupid and un-winnable war. Whilst the mission creep continues, the politicians tell the public that it will take time, and we need to convert a poverty stricken correupt regime into a modern democracy. The top military - e.g., Sir Richard "Dammit" sound more and more like some of the WW1 military leaders - I don't quite know who is worse and who is misleading who.

I have more chance of winning the lottery and I don't buy a ticket, than there is of turning round this hopeless basket case of a nation, riddled by corruption, centuries to go in terms of civilisation as we know it, and where successive battles have all been lost to the lawless and corrupt native forces in a very difficult and challenging theatre of war, and where the enemy do not wear an identifying uniform.

As for needing to fight this remote war to prevent it coming to the streets of Britain - how about the theory that if we kept our sticky little noses out of irrelevant peices of remote real estate , then perhaps the terrorists would not be that interested in coming to UK to fight back? I don't see too many terrorists wishing to enter Switzerland to become muslim terrorists !!

The huge costs and grief inflicted on our now sadly depleted armed forces and theiur highly supportive families is overwhelming, and I salute their bravery when fighting such a pointless and unwinnable war. Today's territorial gains are merely tomorrow's Taliban recovery areas - we have neither the men nor equipment to make long term holds and even longer term civilianisation and democracy conversions.

Last but not least, in times where the Bankers have almost bankrupted UK Ltd., we could well spend the £?Bn in either reducing national debt, or supporting other worthwhile UK causes - e.g., Hospitals.

Finally we could also impose better UK immigration security, and combine this with instant repatriation without appeals, - after all, if anyone doesn't like our traditions, religions and customs, schools and other cultural heritage, then it's not for them clearly, and they should be rapidly assisted to vacate UK Ltd.,

Meantime, all my warmest congratulations to all HM Forces out there, doing a splendid job under almost impossible conditions and without the necessary level of equipment support, and "minded" by ministers who haven't got the first idea of what it's like.