PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar Airways On The Slippery Slope
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2002, 07:45
Gwapo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you talk of the CEO being strict and firing people I think you misinterpret what actually happens. The strictness of the CEO in my opinion is not the question, but how he wields his authority.
Mr Al Baker does not follow any procedures or code of conduct when he decides to terminate anyone from Qatar Airways.
(not like other major airlines which have in place procedures to deal with thier staff should they be accused of erring), He makes arbitrary decisions not based on all the facts but what he has been told by a select few persons. In modern society should a person of such power not follow a procedure to determine the following.
1. That the facts are true as they are alleged.
2. That the accused is allowed to have his say.
3. That any punishment fits the crime.

In fact in a good Muslim society is it not expected that both sides are invited to have thier say.

I was at the recieving end of the CEO and was told I had 24 hrs to get out of the country without any recourse to a hearing, interview or disciplinary procedures. It was quite an ordeal for both my family and I. I am of the opinion I did nothing wrong except be honest in my dealings with everybody.

Ther are some very good people in Qatar Airways and the CEO is probably doing a good job in certain respects within the airline but he is the CEO not the personnel manager and should act accordingly. (I know no other major airline where the CEO gets involved in firing people) I have no animosity towards Qatar Airways and wish everyone well, (many are fellow pilots after all) but I will never forgive anyone who defends the dictatorial regime of Mr Baker.

I am sure many of you who work for Qatar know who I am. Thanks for the help when I left. I am working so no probs. As I said in a previous post, nothing wrong with Qatar or Qatar Airways that a little honesty from some of the locals and Mr Baker wouldn't fix.

Good luck to everone but don't get financially committed to the country whilst there.

Best regards