PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Muscat Muscateers
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2009, 14:55
divingduck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost of living.

FlyF...
With 2000OMR left over and two children at school, I would have to say no.
The cost of schooling expat kids is very stiff. Just to join the British School will cost 1700 rials this year and 2500 next year...per child. THEN you have to pay for the fees, which I believe are about 2500 rials per term (3 terms per year) for high school age kids.
So with 2 high school kids it will set you back around 20,000 rials in the first year. You get 48000 per year to begin with,so after school fees you have 28,000, a decent villa will cost around 650-800 (possibly more) or 9600 rials per year leaving 18,400.
Then you have to buy a car, fill it with fuel (albeit cheap fuel), buy food, drink, entertainment etc. then there are holidays to be paid for.
As you can see the chances of sending home a half of your salary is pretty much nigh on impossible.
Before you go and find yourself broke, give the schools a ring and find out. I had both my kids go to the ABA, and my wife taught at the British School, and I can thoroughly recommend both. there are others there, do a google search, and then sit down and work it out.

If you decide to go, you will have a ball, it is by far the best place to live in the Gulf, the locals are amazingly friendly and very tolerant of ignorant westerners. Treat them and their country with respect and you will have friends for life.