PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight test of the Jetpod
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2009, 14:20
On Glide

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find this tragic incident intriguing.

1. The Avcen Jetpod project was conducted in seemingly a very secretive manner (good on 'em though if that's what they wanted to achieve - they did a good job on keeping a low profile). I hadn't heard a whisper of how far they had got with their prototype and they managed to keep it off the web too.

2. The prototype, presumably unregistered and unknown to the Malaysian CAA, was shipped out there (presumably having been assembled elsewhere - in UK?) before being assembled.

3. If the Malaysian CAA did not know or approve of any test flying from what would appear to be an unsuitable airfield, the intention must have therefore been just to do high speed taxy tests without flying? Something must have gone seriously wrong for the aircraft to reach 600ft in that case.

4. Why go to Malaysia to do taxy testing?

5. The combination of a project prinicipal who is also project test pilot seems to me to be unnecissarily risky as often the two roles are in contradiction with one another.

I guess the facts will emerge in the fullness of time. My heart goes out to all those involved, it must be awful.

OG