PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is it about the C180/185
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2009, 09:34
poteroo

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Would you believe that once-upon-a-time, (back in the 60's), DCA, (the grandparent of CASA), had the endorsements for C180 and C185 grouped with C182? True. And many innocent souls received the chastening of their flying career when they were invited to use their extensive 182 experience on a taildragger.

Happened to me on 6th December,1963, when I fronted up to the then Aero Club of Papua at Jacksons, and did some dual with Maurie(?) Butler. Made the towers' day to see VH-KER, (a C180A), heading off into the grass with regularity. Not surprising, as I had 68 hrs TT, and had yet to really appreciate the wonders of rudder. I came back to complete my 'conversion' with Ross Smith, in the same aircraft, in Feb 1964. My next step was a C185, VH-STP, and that wasn't until I had a CPL and 200 hrs in November,1965.

Now, after many years of pleasurable flying both 180's and 185's, and owning a 180, I realise that they are a real challenge, and I look forward to endorsements as a way to pass on some of the skills needed to fly them safely.

happy days,