PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IRELAND WEST AIRPORT KNOCK
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2009, 06:46
anna_list

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few observations on Knock

Hi,

The new NOC-ALC route appears to have got off to a pretty decent start in terms of loads: 81% flown LF in June, followed by 92% in July. I haven't been watching the yields though. Personally, I would have thought that there is a very good chance that both ALC-NOC and ALC-LDY will be back next summer.

In my view, the current situation on the London route (2x daily FR to STN, 1x FR to LTN and 1x EI to LGW) is unsustainable. Here are the CAA stats for the last 20 years to show why I believe this is the case:

Until 2005, the number of passengers on the London route only once exceeded 150,000. Although roughly 50% more passengers were using the route in the early 2000s compared to the late 80s and early 90s, it is possible that Ryanair were deliberately restricting growth to milk the yields.

Then in 2005 Easyjet opened NOC-LGW, FR retaliated and the ensuing fares war sent the market crazy with over 350,000 passengers in 2006. Of course, this could never last, and U2 and FR both pulled off Gatwick in 2006. Then XL had a go on Gatwick and now EI are trying too.

This year will probably see almost as many passengers on the London route as in 2006. The current level of capacity far exceeds the historic 'natural' size of the market and sooner or later I suspect that something will have to give. Enjoy it while it lasts.