PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avcanada censorship
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2009, 22:36
ScudRunner08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Widow go back and Read what I stated, here ill save you a mouse click.

What I think is the worst is when the likes of Widow and such Edit a post, Deleting or removing a post is one thing but when they edit your post and literally put word in your mouth that is bush league.
Profanity Replacement with a @#$@#% etc is a fine example of profanity replacement, but when someone for instance says

Exhibit A

AVCANADA • View topic - Life in Paulatuk

It Proves the Search Function works! he probably googled Windy
When the Original post stated
It Proves the Search Function works! he probably googled Inbreeding
This is an example of Putting word in people's mouths.

Off colour remark Yes
Profanity (potty mouth) No.

Given the topic of the thread and previous post on the topic it's a completely valid statement hardly worthy of Censorship, I think when censorship is dished out unevenly or inconsistently it lesson's the credibility of any site. I know mods have differing opinions on a topic but I would suggest at the very least a note should be sent to the poster stating "I have deleted your post for the following reason" (two seconds to type) and would save a lot of confusion. Agree or disagree with the mods decision you have at least been given a reason and a chance to modify your post in your own words.

I realize and agree that AvCanada cannot afford a lawyer to tell most of these companies to take a hike and that truth is not libel. So if XYZ Airline has an accident and its being discussed in a thread and it remains a factual discussion ask them if they have called or written the local papers and have ask them to censor their reports and get Transport Canada to pull the CADORS reports offline.

Either way AvCanada owes its popularity and thus its advertising revenues that maintain the site to the wide range of topics and opinions expressed on it. If AvCanada is censored beyond a reasonable amount it will loose credibility. I love magazines that favorably review a product such as a car or video game and the following page is a full spread advertising that product.

AvCanada as one put it is like a Bar allot of BS some fighting a lot of opinions with some Truths not always entertaining but worth a stop by for a drink.