PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft down in Dundee
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2009, 22:20
Munnyspinner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vince,

it is very good of you to respond to so many questions after your ordeal. I'm afraid that you may find this an rather endless task!

I remain puzzled as to how you found yourself where you did when your engine conked out. You were heading North past Dundee, did a 180 and didn't fancy the river or Oil rigs so you turned around again to find a landing site. Correct?

....immediately north of the CTA. Dodged a few rain flurries then, as per flight plan I then checked fuel for Kinloss and found that I had burned the margin in climbing over the clouds. With 10 litres (50 mins) fuel I called Dundee and got permission to land for an uplift.
What was your route to Dundee? When did you decide to turn back for fuel? and how did you find yourself to the North of the city when the airport is to the south west? From Edinburgh direct to Dundee you would find it challenging not to overfy the airport and the routing EGPH Knloss would take you about 2nm to the west of EGPT. Were you lost?

If your route was a straight line Barrow to Kinloss you should have been well to the west of Dundee and diverting from the North would have taken you past Perth. Did you consider this as an option. EGPT would be have been easily found on your satnav database and I cannot understand why it wasn't the most obviuos choice - although I don't have your actual routing.

Your Budapest trip would have been much more challenging than this little hop and hopefully your detractors will accept that your level of competency was sufficient. On the day, however, the decision not to land sooner before the engine failure seems to have been the decider. Hindsight is a perfect tool and I know that if you had expected the donk to quit - you would have not been where you were!

Equally, had you stopped and fuelled up and then your engine quit you would have been heavier. Perhaps you are luckier than we even thought!

Last edited by Munnyspinner; 17th Aug 2009 at 22:32.