PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft down in Dundee
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2009, 22:10
10W

PPRuNe Bashaholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edinburgh CTA is not large. I live in the area between Heatrhow, London City, Stansted and Luton - big workload wherever you head (except France via Dover!).

I entered at 7,000 feet and kleft at 10,000 ft having made two requests for level changes cos of cloud tops.

I was not light headed and flew down to 7,000 immediately north of the CTA. Dodged a few rain flurries then, as per flight plan I then checked fuel for Kinloss and found that I had burned the margin in climbing over the clouds. With 10 litres (50 mins) fuel I called Dundee and got permission to land for an uplift. the rest you know.
I wonder what chart you were using ?

The Edinburgh CTA only exists up to 6000' and certain VFR 1:500,000 charts do not show any Controlled Airspace whose base is above 5000' (as clearly stated on the chart legend).

So were you aware of Class A airspace South of Edinburgh which extended upwards from FL85 (that's 8,500' on pressure setting 1013) ? From reports I have heard of, you were exactly at the base level when you first contacted Scottish ... was this by accident or design ?

On your first call, you were just about to enter the Class D TMA which extends from 5500' upwards. Were you aware of this airspace ?

The Transition Altitude for the Scottish TMA is 6000'. If you were operating above this altitude (which you clearly were), then you need to know about Flight Levels and the Standard Pressure setting as those are the units used by everyone else. Or once more, did you not know that airspace was there ?

When you asked for descent, Scottish co-ordinated this with Edinburgh to FL70 and transferred you. You didn't contact Edinburgh (for whatever reason) and didn't stop off at the clearance level. Descent was continued out of the TMA and in to the Edinburgh CTR to around 3500'. From FL70 (that's 7000' on 1013) to 3500' you potentially endangered other airspace users by not complying with your cleared level and entering airspace for which you didn't have a clearance. If you suffered a radio failure, then there are procedures to be followed for that ....

I am glad you survived regardless of how you ended up having the accident. But I think you will need to start assessing where you went wrong in terms of your performance regarding airspace, altimetry, and your interaction with Scottish and Edinburgh ATC. As formal reports on these aspects have been filed with the CAA, then you might find yourself having to come up with the answers sooner rather than later !