PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chipmunk Is Beautiful
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2009, 22:00
Warmtoast

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
FarEastDriver

I was stationed at RAF Thornhill (5 FTS) arriving there in August 1951. When I arrived Tiger Moths were used for primary training, but starting in September 1951 Chipmunk T.10s started to replace the Tiger Moths at 5 FTS.

5 FTS was allocated 27 Chipmunk T.10s. Built at Hawarden near Chester, they were crated and shipped out to Durban in South Africa and transferred to rail trucks for the journey to 394 MU at RAF Heany near Bulawayo where they were assembled, flight tested and then flown up to Thornhill.

When the Rhodesian Air Training Group closed in October 1953 flying clubs in South Africa and Australia realised that the many surplus RAF Chipmunks now on offer were an economic alternative to the purchase of new aircraft.
Eleven used Chipmunks were imported into Australia via South Africa. They proved so popular that when the RAF released further aircraft in 1956, W.S. Shackleton Ltd were appointed to purchase Chipmunks on behalf of the Federation of Australian Aero Clubs. In total some 80 ex-RAF Chipmunks were exported to Australia.

Photos below from my album show:

Th first Chipmunk T.10 to arrive at 5 FTS in September 1951
..and others

and the last two Tiger Moths from 5 FTS departing to join the Rhodesian Air Force near Salisbury.

Other fairly long in the tooth Tiger Moths were sold 'as-is' and £15 - £50 each was the going rate. Some locals dipped into their pockets and bought some, but not many - most of the Tiger Moths were scrapped.

Last edited by Warmtoast; 20th Sep 2010 at 20:28. Reason: To re-install moved images