PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft down in Dundee
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2009, 21:09
avgh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi - re hypoxia

Edinburgh CTA is not large. I live in the area between Heatrhow, London City, Stansted and Luton - big workload wherever you head (except France via Dover!).

I entered at 7,000 feet and kleft at 10,000 ft having made two requests for level changes cos of cloud tops.

I was not light headed and flew down to 7,000 immediately north of the CTA. Dodged a few rain flurries then, as per flight plan I then checked fuel for Kinloss and found that I had burned the margin in climbing over the clouds. With 10 litres (50 mins) fuel I called Dundee and got permission to land for an uplift. the rest you know.

Even after leakage from the damaged wing tank, there was still plenty of fuel left after recovery from the tree. Not speculating on why the engine stopped when it did, but carb icing and its chums looks pretty unlikely since I had had some check blasts during descent.

As for "not being used to flying high", on a training flight I flew with my Instructor from Damyn's to Budapest (hangared at Budaors airport - grass) and to get over some of the weather we flew higher than 10,000 for some of the time. We were going to the Red Bull air races and I have some great pix if there is a way of putting them on the site for anyone to see.

No hypoxia then or on weds, but am well aware of the signs.

Vince

Hi Yakker

As pointed out in the last posting there was plenty of fuel in the tank after recovery from the tree.

I have no idea where this "ran out of fuel" story originated.

I ran out of engine!

Vince

Hi re-heat

To answer your specific point re navigation

I planned the route on charts (North England and Scotland) and checked distances before leaving for the airfield. I did this in Grasmere with my Nephew who has a (lapsed) ppl, as he was interested.

At Barrow I went over the charts, fuel quantities with the a pilot and a pilot/instructor and used their experience to add Dundee as a fuel divert if necessary. We checked the wing gauges.

I checked the weather and forcasts in the Tower.

After the external checks I got into the aircraft and went through the start up procedure. Whist warming up I opened Pooleys at Dundee and had a look. I switched on the satnav and, zooming out, checked the plot to Kinloss abainst my chary - agreed closely.

When I approached Dundee I had Pooleys, Chart and Satnav.

Plus guardian angel fortunately!

Vince

PS - all this is readily verifiable from the people around

Hi Hippy - Are you suggesting I should have pancaked into a mountain? That would maybe have pleased some correspondents! Vince

Hi Gertrude

Love the floatplane. Maybe talking to the media was an error. Apparently my accent makes me sound like a rich (not) twit (OK, you'll choose) and this aggravated some who assumed I am arrogant.

Cannot really see that "telling it like it is" should be inherently harmful.

That is why I have joined your community, and am trying to be open and honest about all I did.

If anyone has any more direct questions that might be relevant to flight safety I'll be happy to answer them. Vince