PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRISTOL - 4
Thread: BRISTOL - 4
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2009, 18:04
Bristol_Traveller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took the time to write a decent-length letter in respect of the planning application, making the point that SBAE (and others) appear to be using the airport as a proxy in some wider campaign on environmental issues. Whilst we all hear/see their rage/frustration/concern about the environment, levelling all the blame at Bristol Airport seems somewhat fruitless. It's probably because actually tackling the really big environmental problems is harder than circulating pre-printed forms for people to tick and linking to websites for people to register planning objections.

I did make the point that I hoped that the review process would take into account the difference between a hastily ticked-and-returned form, and a more diligent response that required some research and deeper understanding of the complex issues involved.

I suspect that some of the people involved in SBAE are trapped by their own rhetoric - if they have painted themselves as ardent campaigners, it's awfully difficult for them to appear to be anything but violently opposed to any change, regardless how small, even though we're aware they're also users of the airport. Extremism and hypocrisy often go hand in hand.

Let's hope the first rule of analysis applies; disregard the results at the extremes, and interpret the data (or lack of it) from the mainstream.