PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar Airways On The Slippery Slope
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2002, 00:07
MTQatar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A300Man,

I hope what you said isn't true. I honestly find it too hard to believe. Ever since I have joined this forum I have seen a small group of members (which I don't need to mention) who keep critisizing Qatar Airways and thier management. The reason why I find these allegations too hard to believe is because they keep coming from a select few individuals who can't miss an oppurtunity to to show both Qatar and Qatar Airways in a bad light.

thmaskofh,

Welcome to PPRUNE, what you said is very interesting and I am happy you joined so that you can show any prospective exmployees that QR isn't as bad as some of the members make it out to be. I agree with your post, the CEO Mr. Akbar Al-Baker might be strict but I think he has been an important element to the success of Qatar Airways. Look at Qatar Airways today and look at them before 1997 when Al-Baker became CEO you'll see how he has been beneficial to QR.
QR has increased capacity by 139% since 1997 yet they still managed to increase load-factor. The passenger growth figures are at an un-precedented level not matched by anyone in the Middle East, not even the Gulf's superstar Emirates.
QR are a very customer oriented airline, in the past I always prefered GF over EK but GF is plagued with delays, inconsistent quality of food and terrible Inflight product. Now QR is my prefered airline of travel because they are customer oriented. I have seen the quality of food increase, the inflight product improve (have you seen the interiors of the A330-200 ) and the Cabin crew getting better (Although I did get a rude british F/A on my way to DXB).
QR should also be making a profit soon and the airline will have an IPO in the next 2-3 years. No company that isn't ready will have an IPO. Anyone who studied some Economics will know that an IPO can make or break a company, and so only airlines that are confident about their success will have IPOs.
Concidering all of these things I mentioned above, hasn't QR been doing something right at least for the past 5 years? If the staff are such "poorly treated" wouldn't the airline be gone ages ago? And doesn't Mr. Al-Baker as well as his staff deserve some credit for the success of the airline?

The CEO may be strict but I think he is definitly not stupid. With him being strict means that the QR staff will always give 100% of what they are capable of doing and the company will always remain an efficient airline without any of the staff "slacking-off" such as in other airlines in Gulf which don't need mentioning.

Regards,
MTQatar