PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft down in Dundee
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2009, 16:30
Re-Heat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VH,

My posts are uncharitable in the sense that you should not talk to the media, let alone recall stories of boyhood heroes in describing your unfortunate situation. A modicum of contrition is always more suitable. I would also add a not inconsiderable proportion of those flying heroes of yesteryear also came to an untimely end at their own hands in training accidents, operating to standards that have come to be known to be woefully inadequate following decades of accumulated knowledge. Knowledge that you benefit from in taking the PPL course.

My posts are also uncharitable following the clearly informed observer from the r/t, whose observations of your movements leave many of us highly concerned, both for your safety and that of commercial and private aircraft operating around you. Anyone could end up a tree in a very unfortunate case, but to meander in the manner you seem to have done requires you to swallow your tongue and get out your flight planning books to refresh your knowledge from scratch.

I would encourage you to sit as P2, or have a high-houred pilot sit as your P2 for a number of flights yet, so as to allow you to test the extent of your knowledge of TMA penetration, altitude holding, RT phraseology, flight planning, and fuel planning. We can all do with training from time to time, and you are in the (un/)enviable position of having received many active offers of assistance from those willing to help you be a safe and active member of the flying community.

I also ask you a direct question: do you presently rely on the sat-nav, or use it in conjunction with the map as a secondary nav-aid? I suspect the former, as your comments in your earlier post state that you avoided Dundee by reference to the "built-up area on the sat-nav", or words to those effect. That is dangerous, as the sat-nav should never be your primary nav source, and does not give you the same extent of situational awareness as a map, used in conjunction with a sat-nav.

We all wish you well, but our highest priority is (bluntly) not your feelings, but flight safety.

I'm sorry Pace, but you seriously expect a PPL/Ultralight pilot to know about flight level settings? Especially such a low hour pilot? If I recall correctly, he can't even go above 10,000 feet!
The UK airspace is quite different. FLs are referred to specifically in the Air Law exam, the Nav exam, the RT exam and in numerous other areas of the syllabus.

Last edited by Re-Heat; 17th Aug 2009 at 16:44.