PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ainsworth says Afghanistan is "winnable"
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2009, 16:18
NutLoose

Received 2,851 Likes on 1,219 Posts
MackayIn my opinion it seems the only information we get through news agencies from Afghanistan is the news of repatriating soldiers, and I would be surprised if this didn't give the general public a one-sided view about this conflict. Obviously if the news doesn't report any progress of any kind.

What annoys me is the media (I'm not sure if it's intentional) ignoring projects being undertaken in Afghanistan in order to improve conditions, building schools etc.

The quote below is from the Arbroath Herald: MARINES' PART IN AFGHANISTAN'S REGENERATION - Arbroath Today

Quote:
Much of the practical day-to-day activity for the elements of 45 Commando based in Sangin is to patrol daily into the town, which is now a thriving hub of activity and commerce in comparison to how it was only 18 months ago.
Quote:
Evidence of the continued economic growth and stability can be seen from the current projects such as the refurbishment of the primary school and the building of a new secondary school
I personally believe that if you keep up this kind of effort then this conflict is definitely winnable. Balancing the Hearts and Minds aspect with the need to actually combat the Taleban.

Quote:
In fact Gen Richards said the "nation-building" could take 40 years, at no point did he say 30 or 40 years warfighting.
This sounds like it could be very similar to the UNMIK (UN Mission in Kosovo), not keeping a military presence as such but more of an oversight for elections and development. In which case it certainly seems likely. (I do know the comparison of Kosovo and Afghanistan isn't the best )
That all well and good, but the minute you remove the said Marines from the area you will be back to square one faster than you can shout Taliban.....

No one wins in Afghanistan, ask the Russians......

Similar to the other idea I read as to why do we not buy simply buy the opium for the medical trade from the farmers and starve the Taliban of it's funding...... Simple, shortage on the street creates price hikes, more cash means you pay more for the stuff from the farmers than UK PLC which then means UK PLC would have to stump up more money and market forces and up we go in an ever increasing spiral.