PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft down in Dundee
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2009, 16:11
Munnyspinner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the over sensitive NPPLs and others are over reacting. The slurs as far as I can see are not aimed at all pilots of anything that doesn't have an on board toilet but, specifically at Mr. H.

A simple analysis of the information provided by the pilot in question would suggest that he ended outside his own comfort zone and made a string of poor decisions. Unfortunately for him, his errors conspired to leave him 40ft up a tree - where you can't hide, well not for long.

OK , bad news for light aviation generally as events such as this do tend to colour public opinion. All the more reason that VH shoulder full responsibility. Not ATC who he claims may have given him a duff piece of guidance ( incidentally, I dug out an old VFR guide which clearly states for Dundee that "A/C movements to the North of the aerodrome are not permitted due to poor vis from TWR" ( words to that effect) . Not the folks at Barrow that OK'd his flight plan, not the aircraft manufacturer whose wings tanks mean that it is difficult to gauge contents, not the golf course that was busy, not the kids playing footie on the playing fields or the houses at the end of the open space, not the the tree, and not F**ing Biggles.

I'm with PACE on this. It is perhaps the only conclusion that either this guy wilfully ignored all the training and advice he was given or, that he didn't understand enough of it in the first place and/or, that after 4 years he has forgotten it all. Is it the system or the pilot?